Identifying bed bugs
When you check into a hotel room, Orkin said you should conduct a full inspection before unpacking. The experts say to use the acronym S.L.E.E.P. when inspecting for bed bugs.
1. Survey the hotel room for signs of infestation, including colored stains on mattress seams, in soft furniture and behind headboards.
2. Lift and look in the mattress, box spring, furniture, behind baseboards, pictures and even in torn wallpaper.
3. Elevate luggage away from the bed and walls. It’s safest to store bags on a counter or in the bathroom.
4. Examine your luggage carefully when you return home, and store it away from your bed.
5. Place all dryer-safe clothing into the dryer immediately when you return. Run dryer for at least 30 to 45 minutes at the highest setting.
Bed bugs are 4 mm to 5 mm in size, are dark brown and wingless, and have a flat, oval-shaped body, according to Orkin.
Symptoms of bed bug bites